Monday, October 24, 2011

Grandmother Susan

10-22-11
I wanted to do a friendship collage for my good friend, Susan, but in actual fact, she was more a mentor to me than just a friend.  So instead I made a tribute collage for her.  Using canvas instead of pressed cardboard (as in my previous two collages), I had the opportunity to paint the background for this collage instead of merely using cool papers.  The center is the turtle, a symbol that both Susan and I cherish.  In my rendition, he is peeking out of his shell, not completely exposed to the world around him.  In the center of the flower in the lower corner, I added dimension by gluing several lentils as a symbol of the living things she and I both find more precious than silver or gold.  She wears the shawl that I have seen her wear many times and a heart necklace that symbolizes her tender and giving heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment